Olumide Akpata, a former chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Section on Business has been elected as president of the esteemed body of legal practitioners despite not belonging to the rank of Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN).
After an election that was conducted and votes casted virtually early Friday, July 31 and monitored by the public, Akpata was announced by the chairman of the NBA Electoral Committee Taiwo Taiwo (SAN) as the winner.
The newly elected NBA president won the election with 9891 votes (54.3 percent) defeating Babatunde Ajibade (SAN) who had 4328 votes (23.8 percent) and Dele Adesina (SAN) who got 3982 votes (21.9 percent).
His joy knows no bound as he was seen in a video, dancing with well-wishers who came to felicitate with him.
Here are some facts Featured24 wants you to know about the man who promised to move NBA to higher places for the next two years:
1. Akpata is a head and a senior partner of the Corporate and Commercial Practice Group at Templars Law Firm.
2. He was born in Warri, Delta State in October 7, 1972, where he had his early education. He furthered his education pursuit in King’s College, Lagos then proceeded to University of Benin (UNIBEN) to study law. He graduated in 1992 and was called to the Nigerian bar on 15th of December, 1993.
3. Akpata served his father’s nation by partaking in the compulsory National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) porgramme in Kano State in Kano State. He joined the law firm of Dr. Mudiaga Odje & Co. in Warri.
4. Akpata stated on his profile on the NBA official website that “It was under Dr Mudiaga Odje, SAN, that I learnt the rudiments of litigation and court room advocacy.”
5. In 1996, Akpata relocated to Lagos and partnered with his cousin Oghogho Akpata who just established the Templars law firm the previous year. He has been with the firm till date.
6. The 47-year-old sits on the board of several private companies in non-executive capacity.
7. He has also participated in some path-breaking deals that has modified Nigeria commercial law practice. He was one of those who ensure the amalgamation of Diamond Bank and Access Bank Plc. He also advised the Nigerian Bureau of Public Enterprises on the restructuring and unbundling of the now inoperative state-owned power monopoly, National Electric Power Authority (NEPA).
8. When bored, the newly elected NBA president love to hang out with friends and family, attend social events, travel and read biographies of distinguished personalities.
9. He is a practicing Christian and a member of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG).
Links: 1. OAU School of Nursing 2. OAU JUPEB 3. OAU Pre-Degree 4. OAU Post-UTME 5. NYSC Registration Centres 6. School of Nursing Past Questions 7. JAMB Change of Course 8. Latest School News 9. Download Latest Music 10. Call Akahi Tutors - 08038644328