LITERATURE-IN-ENGLISH ESSAY QUESTIONS LIT 001 (DRAMA)
1. Discuss the terms “hubris” and “hamartia” as they relate to Sophocles’ Oedipus Rex. (15 marks)
2. Examine the technique of disguise in EITHER Twelfth Night OR Merchant of
Venice. (15 marks)
LIT 002 (PROSE)
3. How does Ngugi use his major African characters to reinforce the themes of forgiveness, reconciliation and acceptance in A Grain of Wheat? (15 marks)
4. By closely referring to the actions or inactions of the major characters in Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, describe the extent to which the lives of men and women are shaped by marriage and the desire to be married. (15 marks)
LIT 003 (POETRY)
5. Identify and discuss the thematic thrust of Chaucer’s “The Canterbury Tales”. (15 marks)
6. In John Milton’s Paradise Lost, Satan is presented as a character with many traits.
Examine one of his soliloquies and identify the character traits and poetic techniques that make him seem appealing or forgivable. (15 marks)
LIT 004 (UNSEEN POETRY)
7. Write short notes on the following: A. Imagery
D. Analogy E. Tragedy (15 marks)
8. Explain what you understand by characterization and discuss any THREE types of characters. (15 marks).