36. Epic poems are traditionally divided into
B. stanzas C. books D. epochs
37. A long lyric poem written in praise of a natural object is called
A. praise poem
B. ballad C. epic D. ode
38. In poetry, language that evokes a physical sensation through one or more of the five senses is called
B. symbol C. imagery D. emotion
39. Economy of words in poetry is mostly achieved through the use of
B. language C. images D. mood
Read the extract below and answer the questions on it.
And Sango was there, more dead than alive, completely stifled by the sweat and squeeze of bodies. He was almost raving mad with irritation. When the wave of movement began from the foot of the Cathedral, it came in a slow but powerful wave and beat against the spot where Sango stood. The current reminded him of a river overflowing its banks. Before this pressure the strongest man was flung irresistibly backwards like cork on an angry sea. Amusa staggered, off balance. At the same time, he heard a faint cry. A girl in an immaculate white dress was in trouble. She
had slipped, and if he did not do something about her, that merciless crowd would trample her to death. And she would be the day’s sacrifice to the spirit of De Pereira. (culled from Cyprian Ekwensi’s People of the City, p.87).
40. Who is portrayed as a god in the passage?
C. De Pereira
D. the girl