OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY , ILE IFE
DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH
EGL 405. SURVEY OF APPLIED LINGUISTICS
2016/2017 HARMATTAN SEMESTER EXAMINATION
INSTUCTION: ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS IN THIS SECTION
- The most common way of examining students performance is through
B: reading partners
C: setting reading kiosks
E: all of the above
- writing should not always be a………. activity
- Through writing the teacher can
A} find out the teaching strategies
B} practice grammar and vocabulary
C} develop his/her own technique or assessment
D} diagnose individual problems
E} all of the above
- One of the following is not an example of a functional syllabus
A} organizing your studies
E} properties and shapes
- The main purpose of a syllabus
A} accept the conditions of ministry of education
B} make teachers and instructors follow the content of the syllabus
C} make teachers and learners work together on a particular topic
D} break down the mass of knowledge to be learnt of education
- Applications of reading strategies to a passage with different levels of generality in an example of a?
A} topic syllabus
B} structural syllabus
C} discourse / skills syllabus
D} situational syllabus
E} task based syllabus
- All except one of the following is an example of a functional syllabus:
A} changing jobs
B} using the telephone
C} making arrangements
D} attending meetings
E} taking part in interview
- Writing is a process which includes all but one of the following stages
- A} Per-writing
- B} assessment
- C} writing
- D} drafting
- E} revising
- The following should be taught while teaching vocabulary:
- A} meaning in context
- B} style and register
- C} spelling and pronunciation
- D] part of speech
- E} all of the above
- What is the meaning of the following statement as regards English for specific purpose?
- A} it cannot be leant easily
- B} it can only be leant once
- C} it must be broken down into manageable units
- D} B and C
- E} none of the above
Instruction: Fill in the gaps with the appropriate words
- A lesson is a——–event which is created by the interaction of number of forces.
- The lesson plan is like a——-route which can be affected by traffic hold up, slow moving vehicles, diversion, road works etc.
- The class room is a——–interactive environment which affects the nature both of what is taught and what is learnt.
In the road band descriptions of users of English[for question 14-16]
- The user that has fully operational command of the language, appropriate, accurate and fluent with complete understanding is knowing as——user.
- The user that has partial command of language, coping with overall meaning in most situation, although some misunderstandings and lack of in fluency could block communication is known as———user.
- The user whose use of language use is below the level of functional competence, although general meaning can be conveyed and understood in simple situation with repeated breakdowns I communications is known as—–user
Instruction: Mention the five principle for teacher vocabulary
Instruction: Answer Yes or No Yes =A or No=B
In running dictation,
- The teacher tapes pieces of paper on the wall at different places round the classroom
- Student work individually.
- Students take turns to write down what is dictated.
- In mutual dictation, student A has parts of a conversation while student B has parts of another conversation.
Instruction: Assist your student to complete the words below by combining the prefixes in column A with the words in column B [for question 26-30 ]
- Over human
- Trans nation
- Super flow
- Dis form
- Inter insect