Star long jumper Luvo Manyonga has reportedly been arrested for public drinking on Wednesday.
The Olympic silver medalist is said to have been nabbed at Thubelitsha Park near Stellenbosch and has been ordered to pay a R2 500 admission of guilt fine.
According to TimesLive, he has been charged under the Disaster Management Park for “failure to confine himself in his place of residence and public drinking” and is expected to appear in court on 29 June.
Under Level 4 lockdown regulations, no one is permitted to sell or purchase alcohol, while large public gatherings are also prohibited to prevent transmission of COVID-19.
“A 29-year-old man was given a notice to appear in court for contravening Disaster Management Act regulations on 2020-05-20 in Stellenbosch. He is expected to appear in court on June 29,” Police spokesperson Noloyiso Rwexana said.
Manyonga rose to fame in 2010 when he clinched the gold medal in the World Athletics Under-20 Championships in Bydgoszcz, Poland.
He has since gone on to represent South Africa in various events, including the Olympics and the senior World Championships.
- BREAKING: Nigeria Has Recorded 348 New COVID-19 Cases, Absolute Contaminations Now 11,166
- Trump, US Race Savagery Leave Trudeau At Speechlessness
- Senegal Captures 70 Over Fierce Fights Against COVID-19 Check in time
- Edo, Ondo Decisions: Falana Calls For Most extreme Security To Soak Strains
- Charges Recorded Against Each of the Four Cops Engaged with George Floyd’s Slaughtering